Welcome! This monthly newsletter includes product updates we’ve worked hard on and interesting reads about building with data. If you enjoy it and want to support it, please forward it to a friend, who can subscribe here, or you can subscribe to our podcast, Data Chaos, on Spotify or Apple Podcasts.
This month, we’re not only thrilled to share some powerful new features, but also we are excited to announce our first-ever event. Make sure to tune in and listen to the top voices in DevRel.
Where: Twitter / X
When: October 5, 8:00 AM
💎 Custom Metrics
Custom Metrics enable you to define Metrics with custom expressions to aggregate and query your data. This provides an incredibly powerful approach to defining Metrics that can capture all sorts of complex business logic. Read the docs.
🥇 LAST and FIRST aggregation functions
We are already shipping new functions for the new Custom Metrics expressions. The FIRST and LAST functions provide the first or last measurement for a given metric. Useful for metrics like temperature in IoT use cases or storage in cloud computing use cases. Read the docs.
% PERCENTILE aggregation functions
Another new function, PERCENTILE, lets you get deeper insight. It is very useful to complement the AVERAGE function and better understand the tail end of the distribution. Read the docs.
⏱️ Usage and billing UI
Easily keep track of your usage and manage your billing in the Console. Log in to the Console and go to the new Billing section.
✨ New Storybook docs for the UI Components
You can now see Propel’s data visualization UI components in Storybook. Check it out and play around with the components in real time.
We had a packed month with platform improvements! Check out our changelog.
The latest posts and episodes
- How to denormalize your data with Snowflake's dynamic tables to power a dashboard with Propel @ Propel Blog
— YK Sugi, Developer Advocate at Propel
- How we reduced our Snowflake spend by 20x @ Propel Blog
— Nico Acosta, Co-founder at Propel
- Mastering the Dance of Customer Conversations with AI: Insights from Eugene Mandel @ Data Chaos Podcast
— Eugene Mandel, Head of AI of Loris.ai
- Solving the complexities of mobile-first business intelligence with Sabin Thomas @ Data Chaos Podcast
— Sabin Thomas, founder and CTO of Zing Data
- A chart showing our Snowflake spend @ LinkedIn
— Nico Acosta, CEO & Co-founder at Propel
From the community
- Ask HN: Lessons learned from implementing user-facing analytics / dashboards?
- Hacker news thread with some good learnings.
- The Economic Case for Generative AI with a16z's Martin Casado
- Why this time is different.
- 8 Years of GraphQL Unraveling the Trade Offs
- Good overview of how we got to where we are today and recommendations for the future.
How to get started with Propel?
Easy peasy. Sign up and start building 👩🏽💻 🏗️ 🚀!
Thank you for reading!